Monday, April 9

Le Cordon Bleu Dusit Culinary School

I've always been curious as to how the other Le Cordon Bleu schools look like aside from London and Paris.  I finished my Cuisine Diploma in London which at that time, was situated in Marylebone Lane.  They've recently moved to Bloomsbury Square.  I mentioned a few thoughts about my alma matter here when I started this blog.  Some day, I'll share a few stories.

How did the Bangkok campus compare?  It definitely was a smaller version of what we had then in Marylebone lane.  Though the Dusit facility is smaller, the practical kitchens seemed wider and more spacious.  
I noticed a slight variation on the cooking countertops and wider room for each student.  I also noticed that there's enough room for 3 students in each side, whereas in London, there were 4.
Everything is as neat as it should be and to some extent, I felt that the Dusit facility had a more relaxed vibe.  
During my time, there was 1 instructor for a maximum of 8 students per class.  We started with 5 sections during Basic Cuisine and as we progressed to Intermediate, the drop out rate was quite high.  By the time we reached Superior Cuisine, we were down to 3 sections with less than 8 to a class.  
Things always seem different in the pastry department, where all things nice and sweet were churned.
As I walked down memory lane, I chanced upon the marks of current students.
The highest mark you can obtain is 50 and judging according to the figures above, these students are having a really tough time.  Somehow, they'll eventually manage to pick up their pace and learn their craft.
And yes, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.  These Superior Pastry students are definitely having a sweet time.
And, as if luck would have it, there was a free demonstration being conducted during my visit.  There were about 60 guests, which I found a bit different from the London facility (Marylebone), which could only accommodate a maximum of 30 in the lecture room.  Also, I don't have any recollection of free classes/demonstrations then.
To set themselves apart, Le Cordon Bleu Dusit has the Professional Thai Cuisine Program led by the ever-so engaging Chef Rapeepat Boriboon.  The classic cycles are taught here by  European chefs.

Chef Boriboon shared recipes for Sakoo Saimoo, Ma Haw, and Kratong Thong in less than 2 hours; all of which, tasted very good.  

This is on my definite must-go-to schools for learning Thai cooking.  Now all I need is time.

Le Cordon Bleu Dusit Culinary School
946 The Dusit Thani Building
1st Floor, Rama IV Road
Silom, Bangrak; Bangkok 10500
+662-237-8877