Thursday, May 24

chEAT SHEET Chicago: The Purple Pig

Jet-lagged and pressed for time, The Purple Pig did not disappoint.  It was my last meal in Chicago before heading South for the Memphis in May World Barbecue Contest (more on that later).


Known for their tapas-style fare, their Rabbit Panzanela with Mixed Herb & Lettuce, Crispy Capers, Pickled Fiddlehead Ferns & Black Truffle Vinaigrette was a sure winner (photo on the lower left-hand side).  The Burrata Pugliese with Peas, Radish, Celery, Spring Micro Greens & Aceto Balsamico (lower right-hand side) was also refreshingly brilliant in it's simplicity.  I also enjoyed the Salt-Roasted Beets with Whipped Goat Cheese & Pistachio Vinaigrette, off-setting the flavors from the earlier perfect bites I had.
I skipped the smears part of their menu and went straight into a la Plancha etc. and ordered the Wagyu Sirloin Tip with Fingerling Potatoes, Red Onions, Olives & Bone Marrow Vinaigrette and as cliche as this may sound, it was really "to die for."  Moist, juicy, deliciousness -- I wish my stomach was not on Bangkok time -- which was like eating all this at 1am.  I wanted some seafood and tried the Mussels with Pancetta, Creme Fraiche & Marjoram, and I'll just settle in saying, they were fresh.


I want to go back.  The chefs of this place rock and are insanely talented.


Cheese, Swine, & Wine... Need I say more for the ultimate cure for jet lag? 


The Purple Pig
500 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
more info here


And oh, they don't take reservations.