Friday, November 18

Potato Gnocchi with Broccoli and Bacon

The Young Tongue's current fixation is broccoli.  One day whilst in the supermarket with her nanny, she blurted that she wanted broccoli, grabbed one from the organic section (I kid you not), and insisted it was paid for.  And she insisted that we immediately cook it, steamed and seasoned only with sea salt.  Yes, I must admit, it does sound a bit food snobbish but I have not controlled her musings be it sea salt or maple peanut butter.  Sometimes it scares me!  

Potato gnocchi so happens to be one of her favorite textures as of late so I decided to put both ingredients together.  In a hot pan with just a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, toss in chopped onions, sliced bacon, and garlic.  Allow everything to sweat and let the bacon render it's fat.
Once you see brown sediments in the pan, place the potato gnocchi in boiling water seasoned with salt.
I time everything so knowing that the bacon has left brown sediments in the pan, I have enough time to pour chicken stock, add cream, season with salt and pepper, bring to a rolling boil then simmer -- the dish will all come together as I strain the gnocchi.  You know the gnocchi is cooked when it floats.  
Toss the gnocchi with the rest of the ingredients in the pan.  Then plate.  Last but not the least, accentuate your dish with some shaved or grated Parmegiano-Reggiano.