Wednesday, March 9

Cinnamon Palmiers

Today, I am inspired by French music.  My iPod's collection ranges eclectic tunes from Scandinavia, Japan, France, Italy, Germany, and the UK.  I'm currently listening to "Music Sounds Better With You" by Stardust performed by Pony Pony Run Run (now how's that for eclectic?!).  So as I was transported by my tunes, I decided to create Palmiers to go with my macchiato.  
Get a sheet of puff pastry and line it flat on your work surface.  You can make it from scratch or buy ready-made.  About 200 grams of pastry can make 20 bite-sized Palmiers.  Dust the top with equal amounts of very good ground cinnamon and granulated sugar.
Roll the right and left side separately until they both hit the center...
 ...like so.  Then let it rest in the chiller for twenty minutes.  Now would be a good time to pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees celcius.
Remove your pastry from the chiller and place in a flat surface.  Brush it with beaten egg on all sides and slice into 1 centimeter thickness.  Place on top of a cookie sheet lined with a silpat mat or parchment paper.  Bake for about ten minutes or until crisp and golden in color.