Tuesday, February 15

Saffron Couscous

The Young Tongue loves couscous.  Whenever we have nilaga at home, I always try to serve this with something a little bit more festive so that she gets excited to eat it.  Today's ingredient of choice happen to be Saffron.
I think I was 9 years of age when I first asked my dad to buy me this ingredient along with polenta and chocolate chip morsels.  He recounts how difficult it was then to buy saffron in the US, the good variety always being under lock and key. 
Allow your saffron threads to bloom in hot water.  I use about 20 threads for 2 people (but you can use less if on a budget).  I used half a cup of boiling water.
 In a hot pan with olive oil, saute a medium piece of white onion.
Add half a cup of couscous once your onions are translucent.  Stir for a minute under gentle heat.
Pour your half cup of water with saffron threads.  Then immediately...
...pour your half cup of chicken stock.
Add about a knob of butter and stir.  Cover with a lid and allow the couscous to absorb the liquid fully.  This will take about less than 5 minutes under gentle heat.  Season to taste.  Serve immediately.

MOTHER TERESA NOTES:
Saffron threads and couscous are readily available in Santi's.  I also came across couscous in Landmark supermarket.