Wednesday, February 2

Insalata Caprese

Swamped with work, I opted to make something light, fresh, and flavorful to offset the intense heat of being in the kitchen all morning (I bake almost every other day for a small company selling all natural baby food).


I opened the fridge and saw a robustly red vine-ripened tomato and The Young Tongue's mozzarella (smaller sized but just as tasty).  I immediately thought of preparing Insalata Caprese and hesitated for a minute or two because I usually make this with Mozzarella di Buffala (made with Buffalo's milk) but went on with it anyway.

All you need to do is slice the tomato and place it on a salad plate along with the mozzarella (drained from the liquid it came with naturally) and whole basil leaves.  Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.  


What a few simple ingredients can do to flip over the heat in a kitchen!