Tuesday, February 1

Chocolate Chip Cookies

As a child, baking chocolate chip cookies was an activity my cousins and I always did with our mom and aunt.  My mom always insisted we use good chocolate.  She would ask Dad to bring home what felt like industrial-sized chocolate blocks from Ghirardelli (larger than a cake!) whenever he visited  my brothers and sisters who were studying abroad.   And although the thought of finishing an entire block in a year was unthinkable, we always managed to deplete all of it in 3 to 4 months!

The recipe I'd like to share is from a diplomat who I met in 2003 (it's always like this with food - you adapt to a better version when you come across one).  It's not that different from my mom's anyway, with the exception of the use of oats. 
Cream equal amounts of butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.
  Add two eggs and a teaspoon of vanilla.
Add equal portions of oats and all-purpose flour along with smaller but equal amounts of baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Add a pack of semi-sweet chocolate morsels (Ghirardelli can be sourced locally already).
Allow the dough to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
 Bake at 180 degrees Celcius for 18 minutes.


To make this a double chocolate chip cookie, add grated or slivers of chocolate along with the morsels prior to baking.