Monday, February 7

Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken

Tequila Lime Chicken (recipe 3 of 5 for First Officer Diaz's Dinner)

I have a love-hate relationship with Tequila.  As a social drink, it will never be my poison of choice (it has deceived me countless of times) but as a cooking ingredient, my story changes all together.  It makes an excellent addition to flambes and as an agent to remove sediments off your pan.


For grilled chicken, you can combine 2 shots of Tequila with a whole piece of lime (squeezed, of course) along with 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, smoked paprika powder, and black pepper as a marinade and basting sauce.  The lime juice will help soften the chicken and the tequila will give it a kick!  You can also opt to add fresh mint to help accentuate the paprika.

But when pressed for time, I use this spice rub by Bill Baron's found in Whole Foods (my heaven on earth!).  My cousins, Vanessa and Melissa, gave this to me during thanksgiving and it is awesome to have in the pantry (I wish I had more!).  For a kilo of chicken (cut into pieces), I used 3 Tablespoons of it and mixed that with 2 Tablespoons of grainy Dijon Mustard and plopped it in the grill with hot charcoal.  Occasionally brush the chicken with vegetable oil so that it doesn't stick to the grill.  Cheers!  It's that easy!


Want an accompaniment you can also cook in the same grill?  Click here.