Sunday, October 23

When In Chiangmai, Cook Thai!

Sawasdee!

The Young Tongue and I recently moved to Bangkok, Thailand.  Let's just say things weren't working out for me in The Philippines and a wonderful opportunity to work for one of the global leaders in the Food Industry gave me a job I couldn't resist.  So there.  

I recently flew to Chiangmai for a cooking course and naturally, want to share it with all of you.  But first things first, let me share photos of their wet market and names of recipes to come in the next few days.

And oh, forgive the photos.  I had to use my iPhone.
Aubergines!  Tiny little ones...medium ones...and well, large ones.  The large ones are kept green here, while in the Philippines, we like to buy them purple!
Leave it with the ever-so-clever Thai, they sell herbs and greens in bundled mixes, suiting your fancy for the day!  Cooks need not worry about buying too much of something as these are pre-portioned for the day's needs.
Jasmine rice galore!  I remember when I was little, my uncle used to work at IRRI in Los Banos, Philippines.  He used to tell me stories of Thai scientists learning the art of planting rice from him and his team of local scientists.  Well, about less than 2 decades later, Thailand's Jasmine Rice is by far, one of the best-tasting and most famous in the world!
"Only buy live catfish" was what my grandmother used to tell me during our weekly wet market visits.  Here, they're placed in deep basins with fresh running water.  They even offer to grill them right in front of your very eyes!  
Recipes I'll be sharing within the next few days... Pad Thai, Massaman Curry, Fried Rice with Chicken, Grilled Fish Salad, Stir-fried Chicken with Cashew Nuts, Stir-Fried Thick Rice Noodles with Chicken, Chicken with Basil, Tom Yum Soup.