Saturday, March 5

Cherry Tomatoes, Capers, and Feta Pasta

This is the perfect pasta to make if you're a first-time cook.  Non-intimidating to prepare, it doesn't require much cooking, I kid you not.  One of my dearest friends, Louele, taught me this recipe, which I've modified through time (the addition of gruyere, manchego, and blue cheese have worked for my family).  I've used this simple recipe several times and this is one of The Young Tongue's favorite dishes.  Thanks Louele!
In a bowl, combine equal amounts of drained capers and sliced black olives with a punnet of organic cherry tomatoes and a bottle of feta cheese in olive oil.  Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (if it's still a bit dry looking) until it coats all the ingredients, and add about half to a piece of finely crushed garlic clove per person.  There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to proportions, so measure with your eye (as Louele would say!).  Season with salt and pepper and add generous amounts of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.  
Cook your pasta of choice in boiling water, seasoned with salt.  It must be said that the water should taste of the sea, ensuring your pasta to have the best flavor. I always under cook by a minute.  Drain then toss into your bowl of vegetables and garnish with basil leaves.  Serve right away!  It's that simple.

Did I hear you right?  Yes, I didn't cook the pasta sauce.  Just the pasta required all the cooking.  Unbelievable isn't it?
The Young Tongue is guilty of being such a tactile eater.  Oh, priceless joy!